Erin's self-sufficiency blog

Dedicated to sharing my efforts in radical homemaking, self-sufficiency, simplicity, and general craftiness on a very, very small budget.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Premier post--welcome!

Welcome to Masticate.

If you are a celiac-disease afflicted vegetarian, you can still eat! Before my diagnosis, I went to cooking and pastry school, and I worked at a few decent restaurants, so I have a bit of an idea of what I'm doing. I find it difficult to find gluten-free, vegetarian recipes that are any good, but I can tweak the nasty ones that I find in order to create something edible. I will post recipes as I come up with them.

Here's something to start us off:

Gluten-free bechemel

1 tbsp butter
2 tsp tapioca flour
about 1-1 1/2 cups milk
salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste

First, fry the butter and tapioca flour in a small saucepan. If you are used to making bechemel with wheat flour, don't panic when the mixture doesn't thicken. Have faith. Fry until aromatic, and slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Tapioca flour gets quite gummy, so make sure that you add the milk very slowly. Continue adding milk and whisking until mixture is cooked and desired thickness is achieved, about 10 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.

I like this sauce on rice pasta with a few vegetables tossed in. The only rice pasta worth bothering with is Tinyaka brand.

Happy eating!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home