Erin's self-sufficiency blog

Dedicated to sharing my efforts in radical homemaking, self-sufficiency, simplicity, and general craftiness on a very, very small budget.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Yoghurt

I made yoghurt the other day. I took a photo of it but my photo seems to have disappeared. Anyways, I made it in the crockpot. I put a litre of milk in, and turned it on low heat for 2 1/2 hours. Then I unplugged it and left it alone for 3 hours. Then I took off the lid and scooped out about a cup of the milk into a bowl. Next I added a little package of culture and mixed that in with my one cup of milk. After that I added the milk back to the crockpot, put the lid back on, wrapped it in a bath towel, and left it overnight. It comes out pretty thick, although not as thick as storebought, which contains gelatin. Next time I make it, I'll reserve a quarter cup from the last batch and add that instead of the culture. You can do this five or six times until you need a new starter, either from a package or from storebought yoghurt. Unfortunately we broke the crockpot so I'll have to find another way to make it. I think I can do it in a pot on the stove, and put the pot in the oven with the light on overnight. But I'll have to look it up to be sure.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home